Thursday, November 21, 2013

Congressman Trey Radel Self-Professed Public Enemy Fan! Is He High?

Florida Congressman Trey Radel thinks he's a huge Public Enemy fan. Seriously, dude, do you even listen to the lyrics? According to Radel in an interview on Now This is News he suggested the message of the song "Fight the Power" reflects the "conservative message of having a heavy handed government." Well, that certainly is fucking news to me because when I first listened to Fear of a Black Planet back in 1989, I didn't hear any of that shit! Are you sure we were listening to the same album? I'll bet when Spike Lee read how hip hop black Radel thinks he is, he turned white. Pontificate as you will on your love of hip hop music and listening to Tupac in your car but I think you might be just another one of those suburban posers, too much money without a clue, blasting an alien beat because it makes you feel cool. But don't take my word for it. Let's look at the lyrics themselves and find those conservative principals....shall we, Mr. Congressman?

We can wait until you get out or rehab, or what Public Enemy would probably call,  "Rich White Man's Prison". Hey, think that might make a good hip-hop song?

"Fight the Power" by Public Enemy from Fear of a Black Planet








By my calculation the congressman was only 14 when this song came out. Maybe Mr. Radel had a blown speaker or something and THIS is what he thought he heard:.

"It's time! All aboard the crazy train, booouyyyysss!"
"White in Power" by Public Enema from Fear of a Wacked Planet

$1989: my account balance number, another summer (get down)
I'll buy a hummer
in '92 when the first one gets sold
(Brothers and sisters hey)
Listen who you're dissing' y'all
Clingin while I'm singin'
Not sure whatcha gettin'
Not knowin' who you pollin'!
While the Black man's sweatin'
and you wannabes bowling!
We got to give you what you want!
Gotta give you real good weed!
Our freedom of speech is wasting our breath.
You got to keep the power from me.
Lemme hear you say
Keep the power! Keep the power from me.

The lyrics are designed to bounce.
But what counts to you is the beat.
Designed to blow your mind
Before you've realized the cops have arrived.
You've got the stuff , but your sentence ain't tough.
You old fart! It's a start, a work of art
To watch you get a misdemeanor ain't really that strange.
People, people we are the same
But we don't get sentenced the same!
Cause we don't know the game.
What we need is awareness, we can't get careless
You say "what is this?"
"It ain't mine. Let's get down to business."
Legal self defensive fitness
(Yo) bum rush the blow.
You gotta go with what you know!
Make everybody see, how you keep the power from me.
Lemme hear you say...
Keep the Power.

That's how you keep the power from me.

Chorus

Elvis was a hero to most

(I Said)  Elvis is a hero and ghost.
But he never meant bo diddly to me you see
Straight up racist that sucker was, simple and plain
Mothergroper him and John Wayne!
 I'm Black and I'm proud.
You're drunk and you're amped.
But, I need a drug test to get fucking food stamps!
Sample a look back, you look civil but rights is a wreck
Nothing but rednecks for 400 years if you check
But you yuppies are be happy
Buy your way out a jam
Damn if I walk wrong I'm thrown in the slam.
(Get it) lets get this party started right
Right on, c'mon
What we got to say
Power only to people who can afford to pay.
Let everybody see
How you keep the power from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment